Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The rivers will rise again...

Delaware River running high below the Delaware Water Gap


A can't miss double whammy storm (see graphic here) is rolling towards the region and will be soaking us Friday and Saturday. It will be all rain, a combination of moisture from Hurricane Paul and a storm now over the Rockies (which at the higher elevations is a raging blizzard).

The Delaware River is at 5.70 on the Riegelsville gage, a bit higher than normal for this date. Most tribs are running near or slightly above normal. Everything will be running much higher by Sunday, but not at flood levels.

This Saturday I have a piano gig at the chapel in Millbrook Village, located in the heart of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreational Area. Undoubtably the nicest ride I will ever have for a piano gig, even if it is during the middle of a rain storm. After that I travel to Maine for a few days, driving a rental truck hauling the belongings of a friend. Upon return I will begin working for Amwell Valley Vineyards.

I will be a manager-in-training, which is an opportunity to learn every aspect of the business. It marks a return to my horticultural and arborist background and puts me outdoors quite a bit. I will be maintaining the vineyard, harvesting and helping the winemaker, as well as sales, events, marketing etc. They determined that my size 12 shoe size qualifies me as a promising MASTER grape stomper. I know that 250,000 pruning cuts must be done over next few months brrrrr...

Their Landot Noir and the Gewürztraminer are great and the vineyard is situated in one of the prettiest settings I've seen in the piedmont NJ (looks out over the Sourland Mountains).

The journal entries may diminsh over the next few weeks until I recover from the shock of working a real job.

1 comment:

BJ said...

The river rose to about 12 feet last weekend, higher than the Ernesto event. It's gone below the rag across the street. Don't need a fourth flood right now..